TCCLC AFL-CIO General Session Minutes July 18, 2017
- Meeting called to order at 7 PM by President, Brian Golden
- Pledge of Allegiance by all
- Moment of silence for workers who have lost their lives on the job
- Officers Roll Call presented by Dr. Bobbie Thompson, Dr. Guild 4:
Tim Smith, IAM & AW 776-A, Excused Maggie Kramer, IUPAT DC 88, Excused
Brian Golden, TWU 591, Present Ron Smitherman, BT/IWLU 263, Present
Phyllis Goines, IBEW 220, Absent Marc House, UAW 218, Present
Anna Ritchey, IAM & AW 776-B, Present John L. Pierce, IAM 776-C, Present
Tyler Turner, OPEIU 277, Present Chris Evans, IUEC 21, Present
Robert Anthony, LIUNA 154, Present Laura Hansen, APFA, Excused
Ed Thompson, APWU 98, Absent Chip Serrano, UFCW Local 540, Present
Dr. Bobbie Thompson, Dr. Guild 4, Present Darrel Kizer, TWU 513, Present
Richard McCoy, NALC 226, Absent Bay Edwards, UAW 129, Excused
Mack Bennett, IUOE 178, Present Linda Brown, CWA 6201, Present
- Regular Meeting was suspended to introduce guest(s): Motion given, seconded and passed by all.
- Dr. George Green – discussed labor archives at UTA. The display is open to the public and it is the 50th Anniversary of the archives. Google “UTA” for parking and map. Dr. Green is available for personal tours and the hours are Wednesday – Saturday.
- Jeromey Sills of Indivisible NRH – the “Resistance” vs 2016 Presidential election
Regular Order of Business Resumed:
- Minutes: Motion was issued to accept as printed and passed by all.
- EBoard Report: Dr. Bobbie Thompson stated that the Eboard met prior to this meeting and it will be discussed in the Presidential Report.
- Financial Report: Presented by Marc House. Motion to accept, seconded and approved by all.
- Nominations and Elections: N/A
- Communications and Bills: Filed and brought up under regular order of business. They are available for review.
Pauline Ramos discussed introducing the new United Way CEO at the next meeting. She spoke about how there has been a drop in numbers at the United Way. Pauline went on to present volunteer opportunities. It was then discussed that TCCLC should coordinate a volunteer team. A question was presented about United Way and DFW Airport’s relationship. The answer was that workers at TWU are trying to get it up and running.
Charlie Galupi spoke about Labor and the United Way’s partnership. He discussed how Labor helped found the United Way.
Darell Kizer then introduced Brian Parker (TWU 513). Brian Parker went on to announce their strategy for the TWU / AA protest on Wednesday, July 26, 2017, from 11a-1p, then 3.30p-5.30p. There are information flyers available for pick up. The reason behind the protest is that Corporate greed has taken over American Airlines. The goal of the protest is to notify the public and passengers of AA’s actions. Three Locals are hosting the protest: TWU 513, 567 & 591. They are asking for support of all Locals to join them on the picket line. They are also asking for letters of support on Union letterhead to be sent to TCCLC; these letters will be shared with the TWU membership.
- Committees: There was a motion given to buy an appreciation plaque for Richard McCoy. This motion was seconded and passed by all.
- Unfinished Business: None
- New Business/Presidential Report: Brian Golden led this portion of the meeting. He began by thanking Chris Evans at IUEC 21 for providing food for the meeting. The Drs. Guild will provide refreshments for the August meeting, followed by IAM for the September meeting and TWU 513 for the October meeting. Brian Golden then thanked participants that attended the TX AFL-CIO convention. There was a motion to purchase a new surge protector; this motion was seconded and passed by all. Brian Golden next discussed the UAW 218 Labor Day Picnic that will be co-hosted by TCCLC. There was a motion to buy a snow cone machine to be used at the picnic and then for later events. This motion was seconded and passed by all. Next, he requested volunteers for the picnic. A thank you was given to Ron Smithermann and Ironworkers 263 for donating to the Labor Day Picnic. Then, a motion was issued for TCCLC to donate to the picnic; the motion was seconded and passed by all. Brian Golden then discussed the United Way / AFL-CIO convention to be held in Portland, OR in August. A motion was given to cover hotel, cab and food for Brian Golden to attend the convention. This motion was seconded and passed by all. Next, Brian Golden spoke about the purpose of the CLC. He wants to bring TCCLC information from the CLC meetings back to the members. He then quoted “Speak your mind even if your voice shakes.” He went on to discuss how William Emanuel and Marvin Kaplan have been selected by Trump for the National Labor Board. Brian Golden next spoke about pending legislation. He asked members to check the TCCLC website, as it is updated daily. He discussed issues in the counties and cities (ex. Konni Burton, financial, etc.). Brian Golden then told the members that TX AFL-CIO has block walkers in Dist. 95, SE Fort Worth, which is Republican Goodman’s District. The goal of the block walkers is to urge residents in the district to ask him to vote against the SB-13 bill. Volunteers were then asked to join the block walkers. He went on to give an update on the Tarrant County redistricting which is pending later this year. There will be a meeting given by the Lone Star Project to further discuss the redistricting. The meeting is being held on July 22, 2017 at the CWA hall. Next, Brian Golden spoke about the 34-year-old house painter from Haltom City that died on the job this month. He went on to discuss fatalities of workers on jobs and the importance of safety. Brian Golden finished his portion of the meeting stating that “we have work to do” and then asked members to reach out to all elected officials, both Democratic and Republican, to benefit Labor related issues. He then produced a list of all elected officials for Tarrant County and reviewed the breakdown of all officials on National, State and local levels.
- Chris Evans discussed the Healthcare Bill. Then, Tom Carlin spoke about the judges in Tarrant County & stated that this is “not a good time for working people.” Next, John Gardner talked about taking away straight ticket voting and the request to have this overturned by educating other members. Finally, Tim Smith was quoted “We are not Democrats. We are not Republican. We are Labor.”
- Good and Welfare: Angela Batra had baby Arie. Mark York is having a pacemaker put in.
- Motion to adjourn, seconded by all. Motion carried; meeting adjourned at 7:57 PM.
~ Minutes submitted by Dr. Bobbie Thompson, Recording Secretary
July 18, 2017 sign in:
George Green, AFT retired, present Debra Walker, IAM 776 retired, present
Shannon Bennett, AIL, OPEIU 227, present Don Drain, IAM 776 retired, present
Mike Hinojosa, CWA 6171, present Pauline Ramos, IAM 776-A, present
Billy Smith, UAW 218, present John Gardner, TWU 513, present
Danny Russell, IAM 2135, present Charlie Galupi, TWU 513, present
Christi Summers, IUOE 178, present Cody Lee, UFCW 1000, present
Evan Burris, UFCW 1000, present Shirley Smith, UAW 218, present
Dr. Amy Mohr, Drs. Guild 4, present Tina Harris, LIUNA 154, present
BJ Thompson, NALC 226, present Jim Rivers, CWA 6201, present
Stewart Williams, AFM 72-147, present Aaron Pino, AFM 72-147, present
Nina Hawkins, UAW 218, present Connie Rodriguez, UAW 218, present
Tom Carlin, TWU 513, present